Passport Information
PLEASE SEE for ANY questions you may have on documentation requirements.  It is Kensington Cruises' policy to recommend that everyone over the age of 16 have their own passport when traveling out of the country, INCLUDING Mexico and Canada, regardless if their voyage begins and ends in a US port.  We also recommend that if possible every child have one as well, although it is not required.  This is because occasionally emergencies do arise during cruises, and families may need to disembark in a foreign port.  If members of the family (including children) do not have passports, they may not be able to return to the US in a timely manner to receive emergency medical treatment, etc. 

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Securities Website. Please note that Kensington Cruises is not responsible should there be any question or changes to the policy and it is not posted on this website.  When in doubt, please always check

Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

U.S. Passport - This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a personís identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card - This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda. It is not valid for international air travel.

Enhanced Driverís License (EDL) - Several states are issuing this driverís license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea. Only a few states are currently issuing this driver's license, so a passport is recommended by Kensington Cruises instead.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards - NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.  You must apply for this separately, and there is a significant cost involved, but may be worth it for very frequent travelers.

Children: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her certified birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).  Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents. Again, it is the policy of Kensington Cruises to recommend every adult have their own passport.

Once again, when in doubt, please check for any questions.
Affiliated as an independent contractor with Montrose Travel and other fine suppliers
CST #1018299-10
1-(866) 523-4840
1-(626) 398-1700